Get your questions answered in our helpful (and comprehensive) list of Frequently Asked Questions below:

How do I…?

How do I make an appointment with my advisor?

As a student in the College of Arts, Media & Design, you have multiple advisors. The nature of your question will determine which advisor you should see.

Making appointments

  • Academic Advisor
    • Online: For additional information about our online calendar system, please click here to access a brief tutorial
      1. Log into your myNEU
      2. Click on the Self Service tab
      3. Click on Appointment Calendar
      4. Click on the name of your advisor
        • Note: Your assigned academic and coop advisors, as well as the last three people you’ve set appointments with, will appear near the top of the page in the Calendar Shortcuts area.
        • If you need to search for a CAMD advisor, choose “College of Arts, Media & Design” from the “Group” drop down menu and then select “Academic Advising” from the “Affiliation” drop down menu.
    • Phone: 617.373.5583
    • In person: stop by 100 Meserve
    • If you’re on co-op and can’t come during regular business hours, you still have the option to make a phone appointment with your Academic Advisor during our regular office hours. In your phone appointment you will have a dedicated half hour to discuss your needs with your Academic Advisor
      Note: Whenever possible, please make arrangements so that you can be at a computer view your degree audit or have a print out of your degree audit for your meeting.
  • Faculty Mentor – Call them or stop by their department office.  A directory of our Faculty Mentors is in our Guide to Academic Services.
  • Co-op Coordinator – Do this through your myNEU under the Co-op & Career Services tab

Who Do I see?

  • Registration questions should start with your Academic Advisor
  • Questions regarding electives, career paths and grad schools that relate to your major should be directed to your Faculty Mentor
  • Questions regarding Co-op placement and pattern of attendance changes need to be directed to your Co-op Coordinator
  • Questions regarding general registration, core requirements, long-term academic planning, study abroad, outstanding transfer credit issues or leaves of absence should be directed to your Academic Advisor

How do I calculate my GPA?

The Registrar’s instructions to calculate your GPA can be found here.

How do I register for my courses?/I don’t know what courses to select

  1. Check out the Registration Resources tab above to find information on:
    1. Reading your DARS audit
    2. Searching for classes
    3. Selecting classes
    4. Registering for classes
    5. Full or Restricted courses
  2. Look up when registration starts for each semester on the Academic Calendar

How do I change my Pattern of Attendance (POA)?

Pattern of Attendance changes almost always involve changes to when a student is going out on Co-op.  That is, POA changes are either setting a student’s record to go out on a future Co-op or are setting a student’s record so that they won’t be going out on any further Co-op’s.  Since roughly 95% of POA changes involve Co-op, please contact your Co-op Coordinator to initiate this change.  You can find your Co-op Coordinator here. You can also call our front desk at 617.373.5583 to speak with someone who can help you determine the right advisor to help you with your POA change.

How do I change my Grad Year?

Please contact your Academic Advisor in 100 Meserve to make changes to your graduation year. Find your Academic advisor here. Please note: Your advisor cannot change your graduation year in your Junior or Senior year until you complete your Graduation Clearance . Please call 617.373.5583 to set up an appointment. You may also schedule your appointment online by:

  1. Logging into your myNEU
  2. Clicking on the Self Service tab
  3. Clicking on Appointment Calendar

Internships and Directed Studies

Internships most often receive credit in the form of a directed study. In order to sign up for a directed study, you’ll need to do the following:

  • Find a faculty member that you will work with to oversee your internship experience and coordinate with your internship supervisor
  • Work out the details of expected outcomes, communications and any deliverables that are due at the end of the internship. This is quite often a reflection paper on the experience that is due to the faculty member, but each directed study is unique.
  • When all of these details are worked out, the faculty member will assist you in filling out a directed study form, which is available in the registrar’s office or on their web site. This will need to be submitted to the Registrar’s office in 120 Hayden.
  • Directed studies can be taken for between 1 and 4 credits, so depending on your academic needs, you can receive a varying amount of credits

How do I take a Personal Leave of Absence?

To initiate a leave of absence, print out the Leave of Absence form and then get in touch with your Academic Advisor in the 100 Meserve. The process is quite simple, and can usually be handled by email or a phone call.

The following are some common things to keep in mind about taking a leave of absence:

  • Personal leaves must be requested before the start of a semester.
  • Personal leaves are typically allowed for a maximum of 6 months.  If a student is on a leave for more than 12 months, the student will automatically be withdrawn from the University.
  • If you receive loans as part of your financial aid package and you take a personal leave, repayment grace periods often start while you are on the leave.  Please consult with your financial aid advisor if you receive financial aid and are considering taking a leave of absence.
  • If you are taking a leave of absence and were planning on living in the residence halls for the upcoming semester, you will need to contact Residence Life at 617.373.2814 to notify them of your intent.
  • If you have questions about your health insurance coverage while on a leave of absence, please contact the Registrar’s office at 617.373.2307
  • It is common for students to ask to take classes at other institutions while on a leave of absence from Northeastern.  Please read the FAQ section below on Northeastern’s Transfer Credit policy for more information.

For the complete policy, please refer to the “Academic Policies and Procedures” section of the Undergraduate Catalog.

How do I take a Medical Leave of Absence?

Medical leave petitions must be initiated at University Health and Counseling Services. A medical leave is available to those Northeastern students who become seriously ill or injured during the semester. A student who develops a major medical condition that precludes class attendance, completion of requirements and/or co-op, and wishes a medical leave must first contact the University Health and Counseling Services Medical Leave Team right away.

Students who wish to reenter the University following a medical leave must contact the Medical Leave Team to initiate reentry no sooner than four or later than two weeks before the start of classes. The reentry process will be explained, the academic program notified, and a decision made within two weeks of receipt of all required documentation.

More specific procedures and information about the medical leave and reentry, along with the application for leave, can be found here.

How do I withdraw from a course?

Instructions are on our Registration Resources page.

How do I withdraw from the University?

It is necessary for students who need to take a leave of absence from Northeastern University that will extend beyond 6 months or are planning to transfer to another institution to formally withdraw from the University. This action is not destructive to your record in any way. It is simply a formal request to place your academic record in an inactive status. To withdraw:

  1. Log into your myNEU portal and look for the University Withdrawal Request under the Self-Service tab
  2. Contact Financial Aid to discuss your withdrawal and how that will affect loan repayment
  3. Contact Residence Life if you were registered for housing in an upcoming semester.

What/Where is…?

What is the myPAWS/DARS Degree Audit?

The myPAWS (or DARS) Degree Audit is a very useful tool to help you determine your progress in your major. You can find your audit when you log into your myNEU and click on the “Self-Service” tab. Please refer to the Registration Resources tab above for more information.

Where do I go to take a foreign language placement exam?

If you need to take a placement exam for French, German or Spanish, you can do that online.

If you need to take a placement exam for another language, you will need to make special arrangements by contacting the World Languages Center. That information is on their web site.

What is Graduation Clearance, and how do I complete it?

Graduation Clearance is a process that must be completed by every student that is in their Junior or Senior year. We prefer students to complete their Graduation Clearance between two and three academic semesters prior to your expected graduation. If you fail to complete your Graduation Clearance, you will not be allowed to graduate and will not receive your degree. Fortunately, it’s easy to complete! Set up an appointment with your Academic Advisor.

Please Note: Senior clearance MUST be done in a full appointment. Your advisor will not complete it during walk in hours. Please plan ahead!

Why is it important?

First and foremost, it lets our office know when you anticipate graduating.  Then you’re on our radar, and we’ll keep track of your progress towards your degree completion.  We’ll notify all the appropriate offices when you’ve completed all requirements and are cleared to graduate and receive your diploma. In your meeting, your advisor will map out each and every detail you need to successfully complete so you can successfully graduate. We’ll let you know if there’s anything else that you need to do and expect so you don’t experience any unpleasant surprises as graduation approaches.

Additional Information

If you’re not sure that you have completed your senior clearance, please email your advisor and we can double check for you.

Graduation Clearance is different than completing your Apply to Graduate.  Graduation Clearance plans out your last semesters and requirements and determines when you’re able to graduate.  Apply to Graduate is the way you let the university know if you’re going to attend the graduation ceremony in May, how to spell your name on your diploma and other important, related details.  The Apply to Graduate process is made available in the middle of the October before you graduate.  For example, if you are graduating in May 2017, you will be able to access the Apply to Graduate process in mid-October of 2016.  There is more information on the Commencement website.

If you’re on Co-op this semester and cannot make an appointment during normal business hours, you can defer your appointment until you’re on campus next. Just be sure to discuss registration for your upcoming semester with your advisors to make sure that you’re taking appropriate courses. To see a list of all faculty and academic advisors, click here.

What is Academic Probation and how does it affect me?

Academic Probation is for when a student is not performing academically to the standards set by Northeastern University. For further details, read our page on Academic Probation.

Other Practical Matters

I don’t check my myNEU email. What should I do?

Forward it!

  1. Log into your myNEU, and then click on the email button at the top.
  2. Click on the “Settings” tab
  3. Click on “Forwarding and POP/IMAP”
  4. Enter the email address that you want your email to be forwarded to
  5. Click “OK”

Now you’re all set to never miss an important announcement from your professor, advisor, or any other NEU faculty or staff member.

This is very, VERY important! Your email address is an official form of communication. If you don’t check your email and don’t have it forwarded, “I didn’t know because I didn’t check my MyNeu email” isn’t an excuse and won’t undo missed deadlines.

Policy Issues

Academic Progression Standards

The text of the progression standards are in the Undergraduate Catalog. The basic points are:

  • Students must keep their overall GPA above a 2.000 at all times
  • Students must successfully complete a minimum of 12 Semester Hours in the fall or spring semesters when registered.  For a class to qualify as “successful” the student must receive a a non-failing letter grade.  Grades of I, IP, *, X, F, U, or W do not count as having completed the course successfully.

If a student fails to meet either or both of these criteria they will be placed on Academic Probation.

CAMD and the FACT System

Use of the Faculty Advisor Communication Tool (FACT) system is an important part of our retention and advising efforts in the College of Arts, Media and Design.  Timely use of the FACT system by an instructor provides notifications both to the student as well as the student’s assigned academic advisor of any difficulties.  Northeastern is committed to the ongoing use of this system.

FACT reports can be submitted at any time in the semester for any student struggling in any course.  When instructors are prompted to submit reports, we ask that they consider submitting a FACT report for any student who may be struggling in his/her course(s).

Advisor use of submitted FACT reports
Many FACT reports are routine requests for students to visit your office hours, TA hours or tutoring. In those cases, advisors will reiterate that message with the student, as well as leave a note in the FACT system which instructors can view at any time through Blackboard.

In other cases where signs of difficulty are trending across multiple courses for a student, or where there is serious concern in a single course, advisors will immediately reach out to the student to offer support and to call them in for a meeting, in addition to making a note in the FACT system.  The advisor may also contact instructors directly if they need additional information.

In all cases, instructors are asked to please provide clear details in the “Actions for Advisor” section if  the advisor needs to assist in a specific course of action.

Repeating a course

Courses may be repeated in order to earn a better grade. In all cases the most recent grade earned in a course is the one used in calculating the overall grade-point average; however, previous grades remain on the transcript followed by the word “Repeat.” Consult your academic advisor before repeating a course. Students are required to pay normal tuition charges for all repeated course work.

Points to keep in mind:

  • Tuition will be charged as normal
  • The most recent grade will always be factored into your GPA
    WARNING: If you repeat a course and receive a lower grade the second time, it’s the second grade that will count, and lower your GPA.
  • You cannot receive credit for the same course twice (some special topics courses are a unique exception), so if you received a grade of D- or better the first time, when you repeat the course you will lose the original credits. You will only receive credit for the most recent completion of the course.
  • Repeating a course to remove the grade from a prior attempt from your GPA can only be done by repeating the course at Northeastern.  Transfer credit cannot replace or remove a grade in your Northeastern GPA.

Transfer Credit Guidelines

Once students matriculate at Northeastern, they are expected to complete all of their course work at Northeastern.  There are a few standard exceptions to this policy, and they are as follows:

  • If you have a deficiency from a prior semester, you may make up that deficiency at another institution. A deficiency is most commonly defined as having received a failing grade (U or F).
  • If a program or course at another institution presents an opportunity to expose you to course material or other opportunities that relate to your declared program (major), but are not available to you at Northeastern, you may petition to transfer those credits back to Northeastern.
  • Other situations may be permissible, so check in with your Academic Advisor  if you think you may have a unique situation.
  • In order for a student to be allowed to transfer credit from another institution after the student matriculates, the student must file a petition with their Academic Advisor, which will be reviewed by the Office of the Provost.  Contact your advisor to request the petition if you believe you have a petitionable situation.
  • If permission is granted, students must follow the following guidelines for the transfer credit to be allowed:
    • Transfer credits must be granted from an accredited institution
    • Students must earn a C or higher in an academic credit course for it to be transferable
    • You will earn only the number of credits as the other institution attributes to the course
    • A maximum of 80 credits from a four year institution and 60 credits from a two year (combined total of 80) may be accepted toward a Northeastern degree
    • Remedial/Developmental/ESL/Physical Education/Non academic credit courses are not transferable
    • Students have up to one semester after matriculation to finalize transfer credit
    • You can browse the Transfer Credit Database to see what other courses have already been successfully transferred from a given institution

Transfer Credit Procedure

Before you may register for any courses at another institution, you must have an approved petition on file with your Academic Advisor. Refer to the guidelines immediately above.

After you have completed your course, you must submit an official transcript to your Academic Advisor as soon as possible after completion of the course at the outside institution. Preferably, have your transcript mailed to you, and then hand deliver it to 100 Meserve Hall in its original sealed envelope. Opened transcripts cannot be accepted as valid for transfer credit.

If necessary, you may also have it sent to your Academic Advisor directly, but this should only be in the event that you absolutely cannot hand deliver your transcript.

Northeastern University
360 Huntington Ave
Boston, MA  02115-5000

Taking a course Pass/Fail

During your undergraduate studies, it may be necessary for you to consider taking a course on a pass/fail basis. While this can be beneficial depending on your circumstance, there are some policies that you need to be aware of.  The entire text about Pass/Fail courses is in the Undergraduate Catalog in the following section for any year:

The University > Academic Policies and Procedures > Grading System

  • Policy Points
    • Students may only elect to take only ONE course per semester as Pass/Fail. If one course is only offered as Pass/Fail (very rare), then the student may still elect for another course to be taken as Pass/Fail.
    • Students on Academic Probation, may not take a course Pass/Fail.
    • Pass/Fail courses CANNOT count for core requirements or major requirements. Any course taken as Pass/Fail will become a general elective and count only as Earned Hours toward graduation.
    • If a student elects to take a course as Pass/Fail, they are ineligible for the Dean’s List for that semester.
  • Benefits
    • Pass/Fail grades are not calculated into a student’s GPA.
  • Procedure
    • Print and fill out the Petition to Elect Pass/Fail Grade from the Registrar’s Forms page
    • Meet with your advisor in 100 Meserve, to make sure it’s an appropriate option for you and have them sign your petition. Call our main phone number at 617.373.5583 to set up an appointment. You may also schedule your appointment online by 1.) logging into your myNEU, 2.) clicking on the Self Service tab and 3.) clicking on Appointment Calendar.
    • Discuss the Pass/Fail request with your instructor within the first two weeks of the term. If they approve your request, have them sign your petition as well.
    • Return the Petition to Elect Pass/Fail Grade to the Registrar’s Office in 120 Hayden.

Grade Appeals

Grade appeals must be initiated within 20 business days (four weeks) of the grade being posted.  For the complete policy, please consult the “Appeals Policies and Procedures” section of the Student Handbook, which is available on the OSCCR website, under the “Community Expectations and Process” menu.

The steps below are a summary of how the process is applied to grades earned in a CAMD course.  Grade appeals for courses taken in other colleges must contact that college for its process.
Please note that each step must be fully completed before the student may continue to the subsequent step.

  1. Contact Helena Prezio ( to declare your intent to appeal a grade in your CAMD course.
  2. Attempt to resolve the grade dispute directly with the instructor.  Helena can provide strategies on how to approach this conversation.
  3. If a resolution with the instructor is not possible, you have the option to bring your grade appeal to the chair of the department offering the course to discuss your grade appeal.  Helena can provide contact information to you.
  4. If a resolution with the chair is not possible, you have the option to submit a written appeal to the CAMD Academic Affairs Committee.  Helena can provide information about how the appeal should be structured and written.
  5. If the written appeal is denied by the CAMD AAC, you have the option to submit your appeal to the University Appeals Resolution Committee.  Helena can provide the relevant contact and process information.

Please note that if your grade appeal is denied by the University Appeals Resolution Committee, no further appeals are possible and the grade will remain as posted.