This tab is designed to help Northeastern students navigate the registration process. Here, you can find information on how to access and read your degree audit, how to register for class, and answers to some typical registration questions, as well as links to common Northeastern resources.

Table of Contents

Registering for Classes
Registering for an Overload
Reduced Load
Course Withdrawal
Transfer Credits


Blank Schedule Grid

Registering for Classes

Registration for classes is a 3-step process:

1. Identify courses you still need to take

  • Review myPAWS Degree Audit (a.k.a. DARS) instructions here.
  • Recommended: Meet with your academic advisor at least a couple of weeks before registration starts.
    • Tip: Plan ahead.  Advisor appointments fill up quickly leading up to registration.
    • Tip: On Study Abroad or Co-op and can’t make it to the office?  Make a phone appointment with your advisor!  These can be made just like a regular appointment.
    • Tip: CAMD Academic advisors hold walk in (first come, first serve) hours from 9 am to 3 pm every day during registration week if you have last minute questions.

2. Identify which of those courses are offered in the upcoming term

  • Review Registration Search instructions here.
  • Print out a blank schedule grid to help with planning your schedule.

3. Use the registration system to enroll in those courses

  • Watch the webinars and review the information on the Registrar’s registration process page.
  • Review Choosing Courses instructions here.
  • Open Wait-list instructions here.

Overload and Reduced Course Load

In special cases, students can overload (take more than 4 classes) or reduce load (take fewer than 12 credits).

Registering for an Overload

On occasion a student may need (or elect) to register for an extra course in a semester. This is called an Overload.  While possible, there are some important things to be aware of regarding extra tuition charges. If you need to request an overload, please discuss this with your Academic Advisor.

What is a standard course load, covered by full-time tuition, for CAMD?

  • Fall/Spring Semesters: 4 regular courses (normally 4 SH each, but some majors have 5 or 6 SH courses in their curriculum) + Mandatory Co-requisite courses + No Charge courses
  • Summer Semesters: 2 regular courses (normally 4 SH each, but some majors have 5 or 6 SH courses in their curriculum) + Mandatory Co-requisite courses + No Charge courses (if offered)

Mandatory Co-requisite Courses

  • 0 SH or 1 SH labs for science courses
  • Recitations
  • 0 SH or 1 SH Tools courses (for Art + Design courses)
  • Basically any course that is mandated to be taken along with a regular course

No Charge Courses

  • Intro to College (sometimes called “XXXX at NU” where XXXX is a department name)
  • Intro to Coop (Names vary by major)
  • 1 SH music ensembles (for a full list, click here) (Music lessons are not No Charge courses)

Things to keep in mind:

  • Overload tuition is assessed for the full credit value of the overload course.
  • Full-time tuition does not cover up to 19 credits. It covers a standard course load. See above for description.
  • You may see that the registration system allows you to register for up to 19 credits on your own. That is to allow students to register for the necessary labs, other co-requisites and freebie courses without assistance from an academic advisor.
  • When you are registering for courses for a term, there are two values on the Add/Drop screen. One is “Total Credit Hours” and the other is “Billing Hours.” If Billing Hours goes above 16 for Fall/Spring, or above 8 for a summer term, you’re going to be charged for an overload.
  • If you’re registering for something other than what is outlined in the “Mandatory Co-requisite Courses” or the “No Charge,” please contact Student Accounts to see if you will be charged overload tuition, and how much that charge will be. Student Accounting Billing Policy

Reduced Load

Reduced load is generally reserved to seniors in their final semester. A reduced load is anything fewer than 12 credits. This needs to be approved by your Academic Advisor. If you wish to petition to reduce your load, the petition form can be found on your my.northeastern portal under Registrar Forms.

Course Withdrawal

If you need to withdraw from a course, it is possible. You must keep in mind that there is a deadline for withdrawing from a course in every semester. To find out about that deadline, reference the academic calendar for the current semester. If you’re not
sure if you should drop a class, it’s always a good idea to discuss it first with your Academic Advisor.

To drop a course online through your MyNEU portal before the course drop deadline (may not an option if you have a hold on your record that prevents registration):

  • Log into your myNEU and click on the “Self Service” tab
  • Click on the “Course Registration” link
  • Click on “Add or Drop Classes”
  • Choose the appropriate semester
  • For the course you want to drop, click on the pull down menu and choose “Web Drop”
  • Click on “Submit Changes”
  • When the page refreshes, review the results to make sure that there were no errors and that the course was successfully dropped.

To drop a course using a printed form if you can’t drop a course online due to a hold:

  • Print out the “Course Drop Form” (which is under the “Forms for Undergraduate Day” area of the web page) from the Registrar’s web site.
  • Fill out the course information for the course you’re withdrawing from.
  • Get it signed by your academic advisor an approved representative at the front desk in the Academic Advising Office in 100 Meserve.
  • Submit the form to the Registrar’s Office before 4:30pm on the day of the deadline.
    • SUGGESTION: Make a copy for your records. You can ask our office or the Registrar’s Office to make a copy for

General points to consider when withdrawing from a course. For the full policy, review the Undergraduate Day Catalog. Look for “Dropping Courses” under the section titled “Registration and Taking Courses.”

  • Not attending the course does not constitute withdrawal.
  • You must withdraw from the course prior to the posted deadline, which can be found on the Registrar’s calendar.
  • There is no refund when you withdraw from a course.
  • If you sign up for the course again in a future term, you are billed for the future course as you would for any other course.
  • You will receive 0 Semester Hours ( SH) for the course.
    • This may mean that you will have to take an unplanned course in a future summer term or overload in a future term to stay on track to graduate.
  • A grade of “W” has no impact your GPA.
  • IMPORTANT: If you withdraw from enough courses to fall below 12 SH in a Fall or Spring term (or below 6 SH in a summer term) you should contact the office listed for each area PRIOR to withdrawing from a course
    • You will be put on academic probation (Contact your Academic Advisor)
    • You risk losing financial aid (Contact your financial aid advisor)
    • You risk losing housing (Contact residence life)
    • You risk losing health insurance (Contact your insurance provider.)
    • You risk violating your visa status if you are an international student. (Contact the ISSI office)


Holds are placed on student accounts to inform them of an issue that needs to be attended to. Often times these holds are financial in nature, or for certain signatures. Some holds can stop students from registering for classes, from viewing/receiving their transcripts, or from completing “I am Here” registration, amongst other things. Students can access their holds by logging into MyNEU and clicking on Self-Service > Course Registration > View Holds. If you have a hold, please contact the department responsible for the hold as soon as possible to fix the problem. Typically, under “Hold Type”, you will find the department in question. Here is a list of the most common holds and whether they block students from registering for classes:

Hold Description Blocks Registration? Contact
Academic Advisor Y Academic Advisors
Academic Department Y Academic Departments
Co-op Y Co-op Coordinators
Financial Y Financial Aid and Accounts
Health Center Y Health and Counseling Services
International Student Y ISSI
Judicial Affairs/Student Conduct Y Judicial & Student Conduct
Medical Leave Y UHCS – Medical Leave
Student Affairs Y Student Life

Transfer Credits

Transferring credits from previous institutions

Students should request all transfer credits, including AP, IB, and GCE scores during or before their first semester at Northeastern. This includes having the school or institution send an unopened copy of the official transcript to admissions at the address found on the Admissions Mailing Instructions Page. If you are requesting this after your first semester, please see your Academic Advisor for instructions.

Transferring credits while at Northeastern

Once students matriculate at Northeastern, they are expected to complete all of their course work at Northeastern. There are a few standard exceptions to this policy, and they are as follows:

Deficiency – If you have a deficiency from a prior semester, which means you are behind by a class, you may make up that deficiency at another institution. A deficiency is most commonly defined as having received a withdrawal or failing grade (U, F, or W). You can make up one course for every deficiency you have.

Unique Opportunity – In some circumstances, students find unique educational opportunities offered at other Universities that are NOT offered at Northeastern. With support from your major department, Northeastern may grant an exception to the transfer policy.  To petition for either of these kinds of transfers, please email your Academic Advisor for instructions and proper documentation.

DO NOT enroll in any outside university courses without approval from Northeastern. There are 2 databases for finding course equivalencies with other universities: Transfer Credit Database Reverse Lookup Transfer Credit Database for finding a Specific NU course to replace: Note – Under “College”, most courses will be under “AS” for Arts & Sciences