Current Northeastern students wishing to transfer into the School of Architecture may start taking required classes for the major in the fall semester. A limited number of required first year classes will also be offered in the spring semester (ARCH1110; ARCH1310) and in summer (ARCH1120; ARCH1320) for internal transfers only. Upon completing these classes, student will then be expected to follow the standard course sequence for the remainder of the program.

Internal transfer students need to meet with the undergraduate advisors for architecture to start the process.

Students need to complete a Provisional Acceptance form and a Program of Study Petition form. Please note that because ARCH 1000 and ARCH 1110 are specifically open to architecture majors only, transfer students need the architecture advisors to register them for those classes. Students will be registered for these classes subject to availability of openings.

To be officially admitted into the Architecture program or the Urban Landscape program, students must have a cumulative 2.5 overall GPA after having completed the first year of architecture courses [ARCH 1110, 1120, 1310, 1320].

Students who do not have a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher at the end of the spring/summer semester will not be admitted into the program and will not be eligible to continue taking studio courses. Students may continue with the architecture minor [ARCH 1310, 1320, 2330, 2340].


After being accepted in to the major, a minimum GPA of 2.500 is required to remain in the major. Students below these averages will not be allowed to continue in the major. To graduate, a student must have a minimum 2.500 GPA in architecture.


Students who are currently enrolled in other academic institutions and wish to transfer into the School of Architecture are considered External Transfers.

Information on applying to NU as an External Transfer can be found on the admissions website.

If students wish to transfer, they must apply to Northeastern University as an Architecture major.

Once accepted, the student’s academic record will be reviewed by academic advisors from the College of Arts, Media and Design to determine the transfer credits for non-architecture classes.

A faculty member from the School of Architecture will review the student’s portfolio to determine the student’s placement into the architecture studios.

A portfolio does not have to be presented until after the student has been accepted to the University. The School of Architecture cannot guarantee that students will receive course credit for architecture studios taken at other schools.

If students wish to receive credit for coursework at another school, they must provide the Architecture Office with a syllabi for the courses taken and a list of the NU Architecture courses from which they would like exemptions. Actual course work may be requested as well. Students will then be notified if they are to receive transfer credit.

All requests for transfer credit must be received no later than the August 1st prior to fall entry into the program and no later than December 1st for spring entry.

Send requests to with the subject line “transfer credit.”