Transfer Students

As a valued member of the CAMD community, you will have the opportunity to engage in a diverse and thriving global environment. You will explore new opportunities and chart your own path toward your degree and professional life. We are excited to have you join us, and look forward to discovering the strengths and experiences you bring with you.


Transfer Credits

Transfer credits may be available to students who complete advance examinations through high school or college-level courses at an accredited institution.

The Office of Undergraduate Admissions facilitates the transfer credit evaluation in partnership with the Northeastern academic departments. These equivalencies are used as a guide on how classes at your current or former institution can be transferred to CAMD. While your course may appear on the list, it does not guarantee that it will transfer into your individual major. You must apply and submit your official transcript(s) of coursework completed before a final determination can be made. Learn more about transferring credit.


Application Materials

  1. Fall 2022 applicants: To ensure that your application is reviewed for admission, all required documents must be received no later than Friday, April 1.
  • Application fee of $75
  • Official college transcript(s) for all institutions you have attended
  • College Report(available through the Common Application) to be completed by the Registrar Office or Dean of your current/previous school. All sections must be completed in order for your application to be reviewed.
  • Academic Evaluation from an academic advisor, professor, or employer (online submission through the Common Application)
  • Final high school transcript or GED score report
  • SAT/ACT scores for applicants who have completed less than one year of full-time college coursework (less than 24 college credits after secondary school graduation) as of the application deadline. This is not required for students who have been out of high school for more than five years or for students who did not complete high school in the U.S.
  • Joint Services Transcript (JST)for veterans or active duty military

Certified English translations of all transcripts by a recognized credentialing agency. For transfer applicants who have earned credits at an international institution, transcripts should be evaluated by the Center for Educational Documentation.


Coursework Information

The following courses are strongly recommended for transfer to CAMD, and must be completed or in-progress to be considered for admission.

  • College Writing (equivalent to ENGW 1111)
  • Mathematical thinking (equivalent to MATH 1215) or Calculus
  • Foreign Language (BA students)


Enrollment Information

Your Application Status Check provides an enrollment checklist, next steps, and important dates for enrollment.


  • Submit the non-refundable enrollment deposit by the date indicated on your terms of admission.
  • Pay your enrollment deposit online through the myNortheastern Admitted Student Portal—look for the “Pay my deposit” link on the Self-Service tab.
  • All students should be registered for New Student Orientation within a week of enrollment. You can register for the mandatory New Student Orientation, submit your housing application (if available), and send your final records via myNortheastern.
  • If housing is available and you plan to live on campus, you must also submit your non-refundable housing deposit by the date indicated on your letter of admission.

Internal Transfers

Current Northeastern students wishing to transfer into the School of Architecture may start taking required classes for the major in the fall semester. A limited number of required first year classes will also be offered in the spring semester (ARCH1110; ARCH1310) and in summer (ARCH1120; ARCH1320) for internal transfers only. Upon completing these classes, student will then be expected to follow the standard course sequence for the remainder of the program.

Internal transfer students need to meet with the undergraduate advisors for architecture to start the process.

Students need to complete a Provisional Acceptance form and a Program of Study Petition form. Please note that because ARCH 1000 and ARCH 1110 are specifically open to architecture majors only, transfer students need the architecture advisors to register them for those classes. Students will be registered for these classes subject to availability of openings.

To be officially admitted into the Architecture program or the Urban Landscape program, students must have a cumulative 2.5 overall GPA after having completed the first year of architecture courses [ARCH 1110, 1120, 1310, 1320].

Students who do not have a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher at the end of the spring/summer semester will not be admitted into the program and will not be eligible to continue taking studio courses. Students may continue with the architecture minor [ARCH 1310, 1320, 2330, 2340].


Academic Progression Standards for Internal Transfers

After being accepted in to the major, a minimum GPA of 2.500 is required to remain in the major. Students below these averages will not be allowed to continue in the major. To graduate, a student must have a minimum 2.500 GPA in architecture.


External Transfers

Students who are currently enrolled in other academic institutions and wish to transfer into the School of Architecture are considered External Transfers.

Information on applying to NU as an External Transfer can be found on the admissions website.

If students wish to transfer, they must apply to Northeastern University as an Architecture major.

Once accepted, the student’s academic record will be reviewed by academic advisors from the College of Arts, Media and Design to determine the transfer credits for non-architecture classes.

A faculty member from the School of Architecture will review the student’s portfolio to determine the student’s placement into the architecture studios.

A portfolio does not have to be presented until after the student has been accepted to the University. The School of Architecture cannot guarantee that students will receive course credit for architecture studios taken at other schools.

If students wish to receive credit for coursework at another school, they must provide the Architecture Office with a syllabi for the courses taken and a list of the NU Architecture courses from which they would like exemptions. Actual course work may be requested as well. Students will then be notified if they are to receive transfer credit.

All requests for transfer credit must be received no later than the August 1st prior to fall entry into the program and no later than December 1st for spring entry.

Send requests to [email protected] with the subject line “transfer credit.”