Program Heads: Julia Hechtman, J.Hechtman@northeastern.edu
To declare this combined major, visit Academic Advising and Cooperative Education in 100 Meserve Hall.
Current students are required to refer to their degree audit through myNEU.
Students who wish to register for 2000 Level courses and above need to plan ahead in order to complete pre-requisite course(s) ahead of time.Requirements Course Descriptions
Media Arts general learning outcomes:
- Demonstrate awareness of the foundation and historical methods of digital media and applying research in portfolio development.
- Analyze and critique artistic media effectively through both verbal and written communication, showing the ability to collaborate with peers and related disciplines.
- Create a large body of portfolio work representing a wide range of concepts reflecting advanced level of analysis
- Evaluate current and future trends in the development digital media by employing skills to disseminate and share information over the medium.
- Explain and employ a unique personal style that shows significant contribution in the medium.
Learning outcomes for the half-major template in Communication Studies:
- Basic communication skills, including the ability to research a question, prepare and deliver a compelling speech, and think critically and write effectively.
- Locate and critically assess relevant information
- Master basic statistical principles
- Present messages in multiple modalities and contexts
- Critically analyze messages
- Apply ethical communication principles and practices
- An understanding of the communication discipline including an appreciation of the history of communication studies, familiarity with important theoretical principles, and the ability to apply this knowledge to contemporary problems.
- Describe the discipline and its central question
- Formulate appropriate research questions
- Explain theories, perspectives, and principles
- Apply theories, perspectives, and principles
- Examine contemporary debates within the field
- A distinct area of emphasis that distinguishes their major. Some of the more popular areas include argumentation and advocacy, organizational or health communication, digital communication, and media production.
- Identify intellectual specializations within field
- Apply communication scholarship to a problem
- Empower individuals to promote social change
- Influence public discourse