From its Origins in Student Activities to its Development as a Department
1898 – Northeastern established
1925 – the Division of Music in the Dept. of Student Activities includes a glee club, banjo club, dance orchestra, band, orchestra, and drama club.
1935 – College of Liberal Arts established
1943 – Women are first admitted to the day College of Liberal Arts
1951 – Music courses are first offered in the day College of Liberal Arts
1958 – The Department of Drama, Speech, and Music is established, NU Band established
1966-1967 – Music Department is established
1967 – Music at Noon concerts begin, produced by Roland Nadeau and Reginald Hache. First concert was October 10th 1967.
1967 – New England Association of Schools and Colleges cites the “humanities as a weak aspect of academic progress at Northeastern”
1970 – College of Liberal Arts becomes largest undergraduate day school in the University
1973 – African-American studies department is established
1979 – NU Records begins production; lasts until 1988 under NU ownership. It is the only university-owned based commercial record company in the United States.
1982 – NU Records issues “Songs and Violin Pieces of Amy Beach” with Virginia Eskin at the piano; this album receives national recognition in the press.
1982 – Founding of “NU ARTS”—a center to foster the performing arts on campus and expand NU’s outreach to the Boston community; first director is Sergei Tschernish
1982-1983 – BA in Music Literature “designed for students interested in music who would like the opportunity to pursue a liberal arts curriculum.” First time the BA in Music Literature is offered
1982-1988 – nuArts Contemporary Performance Series includes a resident company, the Boston Lyric Opera Company and a resident series sponsored by the League of Composers/International Society for Contemporary Music.
1986 – Professor Leonard Brown inaugurates the first John Coltrane Memorial Concert at Northeastern
1989 – The Music Department offers a Music Major and its first degrees, both a B.A and a B.S. in music
1989 – The Music Industry concentration begins, offering both a B.A. and a B.S. in music; It joins “Music Literature and Performance” and “Music Literature.”
1993-1994 – The music history courses are created and become part of the department curriculum.
1998-1999 – The Music Technology Concentration begins
2007-2009 – The Music Department hosts the Fusion Arts Exchange Program, sponsored by the U.S. State Department
2007 – Two new venues open on campus, afterHOURS and the Fenway Center.