Yumeng’s News Diary
Sept. 25–Oct. 1
By Yumeng Ren
How I consume News in a Typical Day
- 7:30–8:30 Gmail
Newsletters: Boston Globe 20 min/ Washington Post 10 min/ Nieman Lab 10 min
Personal letter 20 min
- 8:30–10:00 Social media
Video Call (Wechat) with families–40 min/ Check news on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Weibo
- 10:00–12:00 Reading and watch online courses.
- 12:00–14:00 Entertainment: Recipe 10 min/ TV drama “White Deer Plain” 50 min
- 14:00–16:00 Homework (including interview)
- 16:00–17:30 Metro 30 min / Music radio 40 min / Gmail 20 min
- 17:30–20:40 Class
- 20:40–21:40 Chat with friends/ social media
- 21:40–22:20 WeChat with families 30 min
- 22:20–24:00 Homework
Tools used to make this diary
The tools I used include Excel, Word, and Picsart.
I recorded my news consuming activities by hand, but I made the radar charts and line chart with Excel. The first graph in the diary was draw in Word, using simple lines and circles with different colors. I took a screen shot of it and saved it as a picture. And then I sent the semi-finished graph to Picsart to add the text for the circle. After that the graph was saved as a picture and inserted to the article.
Intensity of Consuming News in a Typical Day
Detailed News Sources and Time Spent on it
Places Where I Consume News
An Overall Review of a Week’s News Consuming Activity