Professor Katula retired from full-time teaching/research/service in 2011. He remains on the faculty for purposes of teaching courses and directing the Dialogue of Civilizations summer program to Greece that he inaugurated in 2006. He continues to do research, and is the author of “Crafting Nostalgia: Pathos in On The Crown,” in Demosthenes” On the Crown, (2016) edited by James J. Murphy. He is currently working on a chapter entitled “Quintilian’s Influence in the United States,” and “The Narrative in the Digital Age.” He continues his fund raising efforts for the Richard Katula Academic Achievement Award.
- PhD, University of Illinois, 1974 - Rhetoric
- 1987, Citizenship Citation, State of Rhode Island
- 2000, Everett Lee Hunt Award for Scholarship, Eastern Communication Association
- 2004, Fulbright Fellowship, Greece
- 2005, Fulbright Senior Fellowship, Greece
- 2010, Honors, The Association of Greek Alumni of American Universities
- Chair, Faculty Senate, University of Rhode Island
- Chair, Communication Studies, DePaul University, 1987-1990
- Chair, Communication Studies, Northeastern University, 1990-1999
- Acting Chair, Art and Design Department, Northeastern University, 1993
- Senator, Faculty Senate, Northeastern University, 2010-2011
- National Endowment for the Humanities, 2006-2010
- Fulbright Foundation, Board Member, 2007-2009, 2013
- Classical Rhetoric
- Elements of Debate
- Great American Speeches
• 1. The Eloquence of Edward Everett (2010) Peter Laing Publishers.
• 2. A Synoptic History of Classical Rhetoric, 4th Ed. with James J. Murphy and Michael Hoppmann (2014). Routledge Publishers.
• 3. Katula, R. (1999). The Gettysburg Address: A Speech for the Ages Educational Video Group, Erlbaum Publishers.
• 4. Katula, R. (2016). Crafting Nostalgia: Pathos in On the Crown Demosthenes On the Crown: Rhetorical Perspectives, ed. James J. Murphy, Southern Illinois University Press, pp. 130-147.
• 5. Katula, R. (2002), Quintilian on the Art of Emotional Appeal, Rhetoric Review. 22, No. 1, pp. 5-15
• 6. Katula, Richard (2011) Emma Bloomfield, “Establishing Premises of Agreement: The Announcement Speech and the 2008 Presidential Campaign,” Communication Research Reports, pp. 140-147.
- • Life member, Eastern Communication Association
- • Member, National Communication Association
- • Member, Fulbright Foundation
- Rhetoric - Ancient and Modern