In addition to the general application requirements, applicants to the MFA in Information Design and Visualization program must submit a portfolio via SlideRoom, an online portfolio submission service. The submission fee is $12.00 (USD). Technical guidelines are available at SlideRoom.
The application portfolio should consist of recent original work that demonstrates design or other relevant project-based experience. Documents can be a single-page image/pdf file or a multi-page pdf file. Your portfolio should, if possible, include work that is focused primarily in the area in which you will focus your graduate study; however, related work is acceptable.
Portfolios typically include:
• Visualization projects, infographics, data analyses, maps, diagrams, or charts
• Creative work from other disciplines (Art, Graphic Design, Architecture, Journalism, Photography, or Film)
• Research projects (choose an appropriate visual representation)
• Ideas, sketches or prototypes
• Professional projects
• Screenshots from websites or interactive applications
Provide authorship information, year, title and other relevant information (such as course name and instructor) for each project.
MFA: minimum of 15 documents required
Certificate: 1 – 3 documents (optional)
Please note that applicants to the graduate certificate program must only provide one letter of recommendation, not three.
Additionally, the GRE is NOT required for admission to the graduate programs in Information Design and Visualization.