In addition to the general application requirements, applicants to the MFA and MS in Information Design and Data Visualization program must submit portfolio materials/work samples via SlideRoom, an online portfolio submission service. The submission fee is $12.00 (USD). Technical guidelines are available at SlideRoom.
Master of Fine Arts (MFA): Minimum of 10 documents required
The application portfolio should consist of recent original work that demonstrates design or other relevant project-based experience.
Master of Science (MS): Minimum of 3 documents required
Applicants are required to submit a minimum of three work samples to document their previous experience . These work samples should match the background and expertise the applicant brings to the program.
Graduate Certificate: 1 – 3 documents, optional
Portfolios/work samples typically include:
- Visualization work (infographics, maps, diagrams or charts)
- Screenshots from websites or interactive applications
- Data analyses
- Coding or software development documentation
- Design projects (idea sketches, prototypes or results)
- Professional projects
- Creative work from other disciplines (Art, Graphic Design, Architecture, Journalism, Photography or Film)
- Research projects (analytical: quantitative or qualitative; ethnographic)
- State of the art or position papers
Provide authorship information, year, title and other relevant information (such as course name and instructor) for each project. Documents can be a single-page image/pdf file or a multi-page pdf file.
Please note that applicants to the graduate certificate program must only provide one letter of recommendation, not three.
Additionally, the GRE is NOT required for admission to the graduate programs in Information Design and Visualization.