The Department of Art + Design is looking for the next generation of innovative visual problem solvers and creative makers who expressively engage with the broader world and exercise personal agency and vision through their chosen medium. In your portfolio personal statement, please describe what qualities you feel you will bring to the department and your college-level educational experience and why.
Your portfolio should showcase your best original work in a variety of media that reveal your ability to choose fascinating subjects, master technical skills, and explore interesting ideas. No particular subject matter or style is required or expected. Portfolios are evaluated for evidence of a curious mind at work and your creative investigation of mediums, experimental manipulation of form, and diligent development of technique.
Transfer applicants are encouraged to submit work that reflects studio coursework taken since high school.
Submit 10-15 items that may include images (up to 10 MB each), video (up to 120 MB each), and PDFs (up to 20 MB each). You may also link to media from YouTube and Vimeo.
Your portfolio should include 1-5 pieces, which may consist of any number of the following:
- Demo, video game trailer, or screenshots of a game you created or worked on.
- Game concept, in the form of a written game design document or storyboard
- Drawings or illustrations of game ideas or characters
- Screenshots of 3D models or other assets you’ve created
- Audio recordings of sounds or music created for a game, if applicable
- List of activities/accomplishments, including game jams, camps, workshops, or pre-college programs you’ve attended, as well as any festivals or exhibitions where games you worked on were shown (optional)
Please specify your role in each sample.
Portfolio required for admission to Northeastern. The BFA in Studio Art is offered in partnership with the School of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston (SMFA).
Your portfolio should include original work created by you in a variety of media. No particular subject matter or style is required. Portfolios are evaluated for breadth of creative potential. You should select work that best shows your personal style, skills, creativity, and conceptual development.
Submit 15-20 items that may include images (up to 10 MB each), video (up to 120 MB each), and PDFs (up to 20 MB each). You may also link to media from YouTube and Vimeo.