- Ph.D., Design and Computation, MIT
- M.S.,Computation, MIT
- M.Arch., UC Berkeley
- B.Arch., National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM)
- MIT Norman B. Leventhal City Prize
- MIT Climate and Sustainability Consortium Seed Award
- Autodesk IDEA Studio Award
- MIT Presidential Fellowship
- Arthur Rotch Special Prize
- Jumex Foundation for Contemporary Arts Fellowship
- ULI Urban Design Competition Finalist
Carlos Sandoval Olascoaga is Assistant Professor of Human-Computer Interaction (HCI) and Inclusive Design at the School of Architecture at Northeastern University and Affiliate Assistant Professor at Khoury College of Computer Sciences at Northeastern University. Carlos is Visiting Scientist at MIT, where he was previously Postdoctoral Associate and Lecturer with a joint appointment between the Department of Architecture and the Schwarzman College of Computing. His work combines design, computing, urban data and public service to provide formal computational design methods that allow the broadest set of community members to shape their own environments equitably and holistically with the support of computational intelligence.
His research focuses on developing information models that enable concurrent design collaboration, computational interfaces for accessible multi-user design, and decision-making algorithms for large-scale design synthesis. Carlos’ current book project uncovers the computational and political history of computational tools for design and geocomputing and provides a critical framework to develop design tools to support community participation in design. His work has been supported by the Norman B. Leventhal City Prize, the Autodesk IDEA Studio Award, the MIT Presidential Fellowship, and the Jumex Foundation for Contemporary Arts Fellowship, among others. Carlos received a PhD from MIT, a MS in Computation with distinction from MIT, a M.Arch from UC Berkeley and a B.Arch with distinction from National Autonomous University of Mexico.
- Painting with Data: Visually based open-source tool for geo-computing
Sandoval Olascoaga, Carlos. Environment and Planning B: Urban Analytics and City Science, July 31, 2023, https://doi.org/10.1177/23998083231193321.
- Drawing Together: Computing for Scalable Community Participation in Urban Design
Sandoval Olascoaga, Carlos, Zhong, Calvin, Chin, Lillian, de Monchaux, Nicholas. In: Next Generation Technology: Designing for the Common Good. SpringerBriefs in Applied Sciences and Technology. Springer.
- “Drawing Together” is awarded Norman B. Leventhal City Prize: https://news.mit.edu/2022/drawing-together-awarded-norman-b-leventhal-city-prize-1020
- Drawing Participation: A Real-Time, Peer-to-Peer Tool for Participatory Planning and Design
- Local Software: Integrated Design and Geo-Computing Workflows for Urban Design
Sandoval Olascoaga, Carlos, de Monchaux, Nicholas.
In: Proceedings of the Conference on Computational Urban Planning and Urban Management CUPUM 2023, Montreal, Canada
- Imperative / Functional / Object-Oriented: an alternative ontology of programmatic paradigms for design
Steinfeld, Kyle, Sandoval Olascoaga, Carlos.
In: Proceedings of the 34th Annual Conference of the Association
for Computer Aided Design in Architecture (ACADIA), Los Angeles, USA.