Date and Time
Thursday, Jul 15, 2021
12:00 — 2:00 pm
Image: Designing by Yinan Dong
Designing for Networks of Human and Non-Human Actors.
The movement towards a new frame, status, and role for design in society – where system thinking and meta-design are central – is not new. The ongoing pandemic and the concurrent acceleration of the digital transformation and the diffusion of AI-based and data-intensive solutions increased the sense of urgency for re-framing/re-thinking/redesigning design in that perspective.
We want to waive – and build upon – the existing and ongoing conversations, initiatives, movements, networks, platforms, and works that aim at re-framing design through meta-design, systems thinking, and systemic design approaches, to kick-off a shared conversation and concerted actions. The first gathering will take place on July 15th at noon (EDT) for an informal conversation around the following questions:
- Is Design too centered on humans?
- What is the best way to design for human and non-human actors?
- What are the boundaries of a system in systemic design?
- What is the role of proximity (locality?) in global systems? What about diversity and plurality in systemic design?
- How does meta-design relate to systems thinking and systemic design?