CAMD will bestow two Excellence in Teaching Awards in 2017, granted to faculty who have been employed at Northeastern for at least three years. Award winners will be announced on February 1, 2017. One of the two winners will be nominated for the University Excellence in Teaching Award. Both CAMD Excellence in Teaching winners will receive $500 and will be featured in CAMD marketing materials.
Any member of the Northeastern community, including students, faculty, or administrators may initiate a nomination for any a CAMD teaching award. Nominations consist of:
- a nomination letter from one peer or student describing the unique and exceptional nature of the nominee’s teaching style, course design, and pedagogical materials.
The deadline for nominations was December 15, 2016 by 5 p.m. Nominations are now closed.
Faculty who are nominated will then be notified and asked to submit the following via single PDF document:
- Teaching statement
- Sample syllabi from any three classes taught at Northeastern
- A list of all courses taught at Northeastern; including new preparations
- Trace scores from up to the past three years (no more than this), including all student comments
- Optional: up to three additional materials that distinguish the nominee’s approach to teaching (pedagogical documents, peer reviews, etc.)
Additionally, nominees will be asked to solicit 3-5 letters of support from students and/or faculty peers. These letters will be submitted directly to the Associate Dean of Faculty.
The deadline for the candidate to submit their teaching dossiers and for letters of support is January 9, 2017.
The CAMD Executive Committee will evaluate the applications based on the following criteria: curricular innovativeness including classroom teaching innovations and the development of new programs; evidence of excellent teaching; evidence of research-led teaching; evidence of positive impact on student learning; and evidence of professional development relating to teaching.
The Executive Committee will make its recommendation to the Dean of the College of Arts, Media & Design by January 27. The Dean chooses the two awardees taking into consideration the recommendation of the committee. The Dean also chooses one of the two awardees to nominate for the Northeastern University Excellence in Teaching Award.
Carlene Hempel, School of Journalism*
Susan Picillo, Communication Studies
*Winner of the University-wide competition for Excellence in Teaching.