Art + Design
- Ph.D., University of California Los Angeles
- 2014-2017, Inaugural editor of Art Journal Open published by College Art Association
- Late Modernism and Contemporary Art History
- Theory and criticism with a focus on the relationship between art technology media and politics
- Art History
- Contemporary Art History
- Visual Studies
- International Association of Art Critics
At Northeastern, Sutton is Associate Professor of Contemporary Art History and is affiliated faculty with Information Design and Visualization. She serves as faculty advisor for Art History and Visual Studies, as well as on the Executive Committee for Northeastern University‚ Women‚ Gender, and Sexuality Studies Program.
Sutton teaches undergraduate and graduate courses on contemporary art history and theory in a global context and her seminars address the rise of network culture and consider the ways visual art intersects with publishing, curation and design often directly engaging with current exhibitions and public projects.
Author of The Experience Machine: Stan VanDerBeekäó»s Movie Drome and Expanded Cinema published by MIT Press and reviewed in the journals Art History, Leonardo Reviews, and Cineaste Journal: Art and Politics of the Cinema.
Edited the first volume on the photographic and sculptural work of Sara VanDerBeek (Hatje Cantz, 2016).
Her scholarship has appeared in:
- Art Bulletin
- Art in America
- Voices of Contemporary Art
Contributed to numerous international exhibition catalogs and artist monographs including:
- Recent essays on Bruce Naumanäó»s Spatio-Temporal Installation (Bruce Nauman: A Contemporary, Schaulager, 2018)
- The problematics of Post Internet Art (Art in the Age of the Internet, Yale University Press, 2018)
- The digital conditions of Yayoi Kusamaäó»s Mirror Infinity Rooms (Prestel, 2017)
- The video äóěerrorsäóť of Pipilotti Rist (Phaidon, 2016)
- The organizing principles of Rosa Barbaäó»s film installations (MIT List Center for Visual Arts, 2016).
Lectures widely on contemporary art including:
- Recent engagements at SFMoMA
- Walker Art Center
- Wexner Center for the Arts
- Temple University
- The Hammer Museum, University of Houston
- York University in Toronto
- Institut National däó»Histoire de läó»Art (INHA) in Paris