Theatre seeks to explain what is unexplainable about our experience through the telling of stories. Playwrights, actors, directors, designers, composers, production managers—we all collaborate in order to tell these stories in the most compelling ways to an audience, which is the most essential element in Theatre. We explore humanity through the practice of communication and collaboration. It is my firm belief that this exchange deepens our understanding and leads to a richer experience of life for all of us.
The Department of Theatre at Northeastern University is a community dedicated to creativity, collaboration, and excellence in the pursuit of innovative ways to see, to investigate, and to make theatre for a new generation. We offer students a transformative theatre education by aligning performance and production with academic inquiry and professional experiential learning. Our multidimensional students develop a unique understanding of professionalism and entrepreneurship as the foundations of meaningful careers. We embrace diverse methods, philosophies, and measures of success. Through values of generosity, integrity, respect, and rigor, we explore theatre as a living art that engages with our global society and the moment in which we live.
We seek students who are:
- Intellectually curious, self-motivated, ambitious, fearless, and generous.
- Multi-dimensional—passionate about acting, and also interested in discovering design, directing, playwriting, or arts administration.
- Interested in studying and making an array of theatre productions.
- Eager to see great theatre and engage with professional actors, directors, and designers while studying in Boston.
- Ready to work with our faculty and staff to develop their own professional identity and outlook.
If this describes you, come join the Department of Theatre! As part of the College of Arts, Media & Design—a hub for creativity and collaboration that blends rigorous academic excellence with a vibrant spirit of innovation—you will be in the midst of a progressive urban campus and one of the world’s most vibrant theatre cities.
Associate Professor and Interim Chair
College of Arts, Media and Design