Design A New Ryder Hall Canopy and Adjacent Landscape
Please join the 1st Annual School of Architecture Student Design Competition to celebrate the beginning of the new school year! This is an actual project being seriously considered for construction by the University to replace the entry canopy and adjacent landscape at Ryder Hall. There will be cash prizes: the winning team will receive $1000; 2nd place $750; 3rd place $500. Additionally, the winning team will have the opportunity to participate in the further development and ultimate implementation of their design.
PROJECT AND SCHEDULE
Ryder facade with existing canopy
The new canopy and adjacent landscaping is modest in scale but will have a significant visual and experiential impact on Northeastern’s Boston campus. This competition will be a weekend design charrette. The competition PIZZA kickoff will be Friday, 9 September at 5:15pm in Ruggles Studio by our interim Director Lucy Maulsby, other faculty, and members of Campus Planning and Development, Facilities, and Landscape and Grounds. At least one representative of the student teams will need to be present to register for the competition. The entries are due at 9:00 am Monday 12 September, and the winners will be publicly announced at the School of Architecture Student Assembly on Tuesday, 13 September.
STUDENT DESIGN TEAMS
This competition is open to all students in the School of Architecture, including those students on co-op or in Berlin. Teams must include at least two (2) students and no more than five (5) students, and may draw from the full range of School of Architecture, including students at all levels of the the BS in Architecture, BS in Architecture Studies, Bachelor of Landscape Architecture, Master of Architecture, and Master of Design in Sustainable Urban Environments programs. Registration is mandatory on Friday, 9 Sept at 5:15pm in Ruggles Studio (unless your whole team is in Berlin: if so, please email [email protected]), and each student may compete on only one team.
All the details for the competition can be found here: https://www.northeastern.edu/architecturecompetition/
- Dan Adams, Associate Professor, and Founding Principle, Landing Studio
- Philip Chen, Principal, Ann Beha Architects, and School of Architecture Advisory Council member
- Chuck Doughty, Director of Landscape and Grounds, Northeastern Facilities Administration
- Michelle Laboy, Assistant Professor, and founder of FieLDworkshop
- Ron Lavoie, Associate Vice-President of Northeastern Facilities Operations and Services
- David Manfredi, Founding Principal, Elkus Manfredi Architects, and School of Architecture Advisory Council member
- Robert Miklos, Founding Principal, DesignLAB, and School of Architecture Advisory Council member
- Amy Pace, Senior Campus Designer, Northeastern Campus Planning and Development
- Kathy Spiegelman, Vice President of Northeastern Campus Planning and Development
- Richard Walsh, President, Walsh Brothers Construction, and School of Architecture Advisory Council member
We would like to thank University Campus Planning, the School of Architecture Advisory Council Fund, and the School of Architecture Alumni and Family Fund for sponsoring this competition and its prize money.