Students interested in the combined major integrate the study of communication skills and processes with the study of the creation of the narrative arts, required for professional work in documentary film, game art and promotion, visualization, motion graphics, interactive art, illustration, and short animated films.
The Department of Communication Studies and the Department of Art + Design offer a combined major in media arts and communication studies. Students interested in the combined major integrate the study of communication skills and processes with the study of the creation of the narrative arts, required for professional work in documentary film, game art and promotion, visualization, motion graphics, interactive art, illustration, and short animated films.
Communication is a diverse discipline and every department is unique. At Northeastern, the Communication Studies curriculum was designed to achieve three distinct learning objectives:
1. Basic communication skills, including the ability to research a question, prepare and deliver a compelling speech, and think critically and write effectively.
2. An understanding of the communication discipline including an appreciation of the history of communication studies, familiarity with important theoretical principles, and the ability to apply this knowledge to contemporary problems.
3. A distinct area of emphasis that distinguishes their major. Some of the more popular areas include argumentation and advocacy, organizational or health communication, digital communication, and media production.
Media Arts general learning outcomes:
1. Demonstrate awareness of the foundation and historical methods of digital media and applying research in portfolio development.
2. Analyze and critique artistic media effectively through both verbal and written communication, showing the ability to collaborate with peers and related disciplines.
3. Create a large body of portfolio work representing a wide range of concepts reflecting advanced level of analysis
4. Evaluate current and future trends in the development digital media by employing skills to disseminate and share information over the medium.
5. Explain and employ a unique personal style that shows significant contribution in the medium.
Communication Studies and Media Arts, BA Requirements
*For complete program course listing, visit the University course catalog.
Resources for Current Students
Visit the Registrar website for a course catalog and information on university core requirements.
Dori Peleg Mazor
Senior Faculty Member
Assistant Co-op Coordinator