Art + Design
Interaction Design and Journalism, BS
Inform the reporting of critical and complex stories through the design of data visualizations, messages, interactions and experiences.
Learn the principles, practices, and responsibilities of the journalism profession which can be applied to reporting important stories in your hometown, around the world, or in an organization. Developing a broad understanding of visual journalism through the principles and systems of perception, students apply visual form and the interrelationships of text and image to construct narratives and create meaning. They engage visual composition, form, and pattern to enhance written language. Students visualize concepts and data and create navigable
interfaces to facilitate human understanding of complex and vital knowledge, connecting people to people and people to information.
design and media sectors
Ronik Design + Development, Sametz Blackstone Associates Inc, Rue Gilt Groupe, BounceX, Ifactory Inc., JCDecaux North America, Mullen Advertising Inc, NBC Universal, Unispaceb Smartwebs, Inc., AutoDesk, Hubspot, Ogilvy, IDEO
news and publishing sectors
The Boston Globe LLC, Patriot Ledger, Harvard Business Publishing, HMH Books and Media
The Museum of Fine Arts, Boch Center
food and beverage sectors
America's Test Kitchen, Kind LLC, Best Bees Company, BevSpot Inc., The Boston Beer Company, Inc
fashion and travel sectors
New Balance Athletic Shoe Inc, Reebok International Ltd., Wayfair, The TJX Companies, Inc., Trip Advisor LLC
government and civic sectors
City of Boston, City of Cambridge, Boston Neighborhood Network, Massachusetts Convention Center Authority, MassDOT/MBTA
health care and pharmaceutical sectors
Brigham and Women's Hospital, Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, Inc., Massachusetts General Hospital, Imprivata, Inc., Vertex Pharmaceuticals
NU Center for Advancing Teaching and Learning through Research, edX, EF Education First, WGBH Educational Foundation
financial and business sector
Commonwealth Financial Network, Fidelity Investments, John Hancock, MFS Investment Management, State Street Corporation, Thomson Reuters, The Boston Consulting Group International Inc, Talent Acquisition Group
Public Relations Specialist
Social Media Specialist
- creative problem-solving
- critical thinking
- critical thinking
- data analysis
- design research
- design software
- digital skills
- experience mapping
- graphic representation
- human factors
- information design
- problem framing
- production skills
- project management
- rapid prototyping
- research and analysis
- shooting and editing
- social media
- technical skills
- user stories
- user testing
- verbal and written communication
- visual storytelling
- visual synthesis
1.Apply iterative design processes to create, revise, evaluate, and develop effective prototypes and innovative solutions.
2. Engage human-centered design research methods and systems thinking to identify and understand values, goals, motivations of intended audiences as a mode of inquiry, question framing and guide to action.
3. Develop a high level of craft and technical skills in a relevant range of media and tools and effectively weigh applicability for intended audiences and outcomes.
4. Develop and realize intent, concept and content with awareness of context and consequence.
5. Implement visual patterns incorporating text, image, diagram including temporal and spatial representations to recognize, categorize, and articulate significant form and meaning
6. Employ and embody ethical practices, team and cross-disciplinary collaboration, and effective communication and presentation skills.
7. Apply relevant communication theories and principles and appreciate the pervasive and long-term impact of design decisions on people and societies.