This major is designed for students who want to combine a knowledge of the art of theatre with the theories and conceptual frameworks of media and film studies.
This major is designed for students who want to combine a knowledge of the art of theatre with the theories and conceptual frameworks of media and film studies. It offers both classroom and experiential learning in areas of acting, directing, writing, and design with related studies in screenwriting, media technology, and media production. Students develop a personalized technique for the practices of making theatre, film (documentary and fiction), and television as engaged citizens and creative artists.
Students who graduate from Northeastern University with a degree in theatre will be able to:
1. Apply a broad and deep knowledge of theatre as an art form to their work, including:
• Foundational skills in performance, design, and production
• Comprehensive understanding of theatre history, theory, and literature
• Oral, visual, written expression of ideas with clarity and originality
2. Make theatre with integrity
• Create or interpret a play
• Collaborate generously
• Apply a personalized technique to the process of making imaginative, innovative theatre
3. Make informed choices as theatrical entrepreneurs through professional readiness
4. Reflect on the cultural, social, and ethical impact and contributions that theatre has made to societies and communities
Our Media and Screen Studies curriculum designed to achieve six distinct learning objectives:
1. Apply basic knowledge of fundamental techniques of video-based film production in a visual project
2. Define terms, concepts, and theories that are fundamental to the study of media
3. Apply analytical and critical thinking skills to media texts
4. Apply the history of media studies to current issues of media with a particular focus on identity, industry, and democracy
5. Plan, write, and present original research papers and presentations, incorporating an analytical understanding of concepts and ideas in Media and Screen Studies
6. Apply theories of media and culture central to the field of Media and Screen Studies to a media text or issue
Media and Screen Studies and Theatre, BA Requirements
*For complete program course listing, visit the University course catalog.
Resources for Current Students
Visit the Registrar�s website for a course catalog and information on university core requirements.